Move over, Ms L!

Hi all, wondering why you are looking at this jumbled up page? This is due to the fact that Facebook didn't like our url since it starts with wog, so we have been forced to move the blog. This was some time ago, and we have placed a script which would automatically send you to our new location. Obviously, this hasn't worked for all of you, since we have just finished moderating some of your comments which appeared on this site recently, and not on our new (and improved!) site. So what we're saying is head on over to our new site, and update your bookmarks!

Friday 4 October 2013

What it is and what it isn't

Beatles historian Mark Lewisohn now has a website of his own, check it out at marklewisohn.net. In the links section of his site, he has listed three sources for Beatles and related photos, all friends of WogBlog and all listed in our own links section, Sara's Meet The Beatles For Real blog, Miss Tammy's Beatlesphotos blog and the always interesting and funny kenwoodlennon blog.

Furthermore, three sources for daily news updates on the Beatles are listed: Beatlesnews, Steve's Examiner page and, surprisingly, our very own WogBlog.

We are honoured and humbled to be mentioned in such fine company. But, it must be stressed, we never set out to be a daily news blog. In the past few months we have become one, due to circumstances beyond our control. The purpose of this blog is really not to bring our readers all the daily news from the world of Beatledom. It's first of all a blog where your humble host can publish my Beatles related musings. Whenever we bring news, it's primarily because your's truly has been too lazy or to busy to write an out and out feature article, or because we are sitting on a news story that hasn't been widely spread elsewhere - one that deserves a bigger audience.

Secondly, this blog will fall back into it's less frequently updated status once I have found employment or other means to bring in some income. I have considered taking in ads in my blog to generate some revenue. I tried it - using Google's solution AdSense, and it didn't look good.

We have got a current following of only 197 subscribers. Yet, mainly through Google searches, we have more than 3,000 page views on any given day. Here is this week's page views, broken down into countries:

United States
8477
United Kingdom
2437
France
944
Canada
676
Germany
639
Japan
566
Brazil
523
Australia
511
Netherlands
433
Norway
227

And the week is not over yet.

I started this blog post with Lewisohn and I'm going to end with it. Despite all good intentions of waiting for the extended edition of his book, "Tune In", I couldn't help myself when a review copy of the regular edition came in the mail last week. I'm currently in Hamburg 1960 (page 373), and Mark is speculating that George Harrison has remained a virgin all through this first stint of the fabs in Germany. I'm telling you, this is a very good read with new or obscure facts on every page. It's a ride like nothing else and there shall be a void when I've read it through.

8 comments:

Popper said...

Hi. I'm one of those thousands who come here regularly but don't subscribe. The only reason is that I don't know how. I see the subscribe link, but it just offers me two other links to places I don't want to be. If there was just a button I could press which would register me and let me get updates, I'd press it! Great blog - hope you can keep going for a while yet!

Claudio Dirani said...

Hi Roger,

I know how you feel.

Yet, it's quite puzzling to realise there are so few subscribers to the blog.
I'm one who comes up often and feel guilty for not giving enough support.
How about that? I think it's about time.
Don't give up the blog and your fantastic job.

Hope it turns out fine.

Claudio Dirani said...

PS: by the way, I didn't find the link to subscribe.

Please help me out

Sara S. said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog. I understand your feelings. I have about 1,500 views a day and 214 subscribers. But I always remind myself that I started the blog for myself and hoped that others would enjoy it.

I am so jealous that you got an advance copy of the book! I am waiting for it to be released so I can read it. I am getting anxious.

wogew said...

Hi,
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about having few subscribers, I just mentioned it because they are the only visible clue to my readers about the audience this blog has. Which is why I displayed some statistics illustrating that the number of followers has very little to do with the overall traffic on the blog. Like I said, most of the traffic here comes from Google searches, not from regular readers of the blog.

wogew said...

For those looking how to subscribe: There used to be a link from which you could subscr4ibe just by having each blog post sent to your email, but I believe that has been changed. Now you need to be logged in as your google user or yahoo user or something to get a feed to either your email account or living bookmarks or something, I don't know. Anyone? I subscribe to the blogs I'm following via an Atom feed which goes to an app on my Galaxy tablet.

Popper said...

If you go to the control panel behind the blog, there is a section called "Layout". Inside there, you can add buttons and widgets etc to your front page. Just click "Add a gadget" and you can drop one onto the blog in a suitable place.

David B said...

Thanks so much for your blog Roger. I did not know I could subscribe too.... And for now I'm not able, don't klnow how it works. But I'm enjoying your blog anyhow, wether it features daily news or not!
Thanks keep up the good work!