Move over, Ms L!

Hi all, wondering why you are looking at this jumbled up page? This is due to the fact that Facebook didn't like our url since it starts with wog, so we have been forced to move the blog. This was some time ago, and we have placed a script which would automatically send you to our new location. Obviously, this hasn't worked for all of you, since we have just finished moderating some of your comments which appeared on this site recently, and not on our new (and improved!) site. So what we're saying is head on over to our new site, and update your bookmarks!

Monday 21 September 2015

Paul McCartney's Archive Collection: Flowers in the dirt

Inlay card from preview boxed sets.
The inlay card in review boxed sets for the upcoming new Paul McCartney's Archive Collection series releases, "Tug of War" and "Pipes of Peace" was, for both boxes this one.
So, "Flowers in the Dirt" will be out on it's own, and not released simultaneously with another one from the series. Which prompts the question, will this be the final release in the series? It's likely the release will be scheduled for next year, 2016 and the series was going to end that year, according to the original plan. Standalone releases have been "Band On The Run", "Ram" and "Wings Over America", the ones that came in pairs were "McCartney" with "McCartney II", and "Wings: Venus and Mars" with "Wings: At The Speed of Sound".
In a recent interview with BBC's Radio 2 on Saturday (currently available here), Paul talked about Wings: "Wings were getting a bad rap at that time [the Seventies] because it was post-Beatles, and anything you did or I did that was solo was stood up against The Beatles. So you tend to go along with that, and I went along with a bit of that thinking 'well it's never gonna be that good but I'll do it because I love doing it'."

"And then you listen to it back and think 'this is better than I thought it was'. So that's great to do, to really listen back and think 'I'm glad I did that, glad I kept going', because you know if I listened to the critics I might have given up."

Then what happened to the Wings albums "Wild Life", "Red Rose Speedway", "London Town" and "Back To The Egg"? It's this writer's hope that the series will continue so that expanded versions of these albums will get the treatment they deserve. "Wild Life" ought to include the film from the ICA rehearsals prior to the 1972 tour, "Red Rose" should be expanded to the double album it was originally conceived as and the DVD should include the "James Paul McCartney" TV special, and "Back To The Egg" could include a live Wings concert from their last ever tour, as well as a DVD with the "Back To The Egg" TV Special.

We also have a soft spot for "Press To Play". There, I said it.

24 comments:

LetEmOut said...

Here, here!
Lest we forget the unreleased MPL "Rockestra" documentary! I'm sure that folks would love to see a decent copy of that film too.
Though I remember hearing Paul talk about that post-filming saying that it was all filmed in secret and some people were unaware that they were being filmed! So that could come with a few legal issues, hence it was never released.

Geert said...

I fail to see why the stand-alone release of this album would imply in any way that this would be the final one in the series?

LetEmOut said...

I've got a feeling that 'Flowers In The Dirt' will see an early 2016 release, and the others will follow in pairs in late 2016 and 2017.

CCRider said...

Oh, come on... Still with this "last in the series" blurb? Isn't it more than proven that the collection WILL span his entire career?

How many "experts" said that "oh, Pipes of Peace will NEVER get a Deluxe treatment"? Same for Macca II, at the Speed of Sound et al.

Time to go after more original headlines, people...

Martin said...

No Red Rose Speedway or London Town?
I also hope 'Back To The Egg' gets done too. If only for a remastered version of the 7 minute 'Goodnight Tonight.'

winston o´boogie said...

The standalone release it's because it will include lots of material. A big box set, maybe the biggest of the whole collection. It will include the "Put It There" DVD and lots of other stuff.

Darren said...

I look forward to the Flowers In The Dirt release. As, I love the b-sides from that era.

I really want Red Rose Speedway done up right. And I, too, have a huge soft spot for Press To Play.

Back To The Egg is one of my favorites and I'd preorder that one anytime.

Wild Life, London Town, Broadstreet, Pipes of Peace... I'll buy, but I'm not excited for any of them. Unless MPL is ready to really do them up right.

Unknown said...

Maybe they're going to release them one at a time now to get them out quicker.

DonP said...

For those who may have missed it (when posted on the Tug of War news), is anybody else aware of this anomaly? The very first US edition of Tug of War I bought has a different opening to Take It Away. The first bass line has been cut. There are only three bass lines instead of four. Very odd!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HoeYSmM9OM&feature=youtu.be

Andrea Grasso said...

Where is the "initial plan" that said the series was going to end in 2016??

wardo said...

I was really hoping the next pair (or single) would be Wild Life/Red Rose, or London/Egg. I'm less excited about Flowers than I am Pipes of Peace, which I'm not at all.

Mike N said...

I echo your sentiments 'exactly' Roger!

Winston Scott said...

I also have a soft spot for Press to Play - would love to see it get the treatment with a full stripped down remix as a bonus.

Unknown said...

In an interview, which I don't have here now, Laurence Jubee mentioned he was recently in the studio (this was about 18 months ago) and was asked by Paul to "fix up" some Back To The Egg tracks. That same interview had a mention that MPL had not yet looked at London Town but it was "on the list." Sorry I can't point out the interview, but with the Super Deluxe Edition selling out so quickly I cant see Paulie not continuing on

Unknown said...

But the McCartney Archive Collection can't come to an end! Reissuing ten out of all the solo albums Paul has released over the years is just not enough! I mean, I'm very patient when it comes to waiting for the reissues and have actually been ok with the bonus audio/video content from the previous sets and as a huge fan of everything Beatles I would like to see the whole Macca catalog out again no matter how long it takes. No rush at all...

down the hatches said...


I wonder if he might do only the first 16 like the imported set. the covers were mostly white with the cover of the cd in the lower right hand corner. but that set did a greatest hits package that nobody needs. so it could end with the cd after flowers in the dirt. an put them out every 3 months. but if he don't finish what a waist of time. you were better off buying the white 16 cd set with the bonus tracks instead an they are remastered also but years ago. how many times can you remaster the cds to sound different. they might sound louder......I hope they do the job right like jimmy page did with led zeppelin.(the whole catalog)

Unknown said...

I wonder if "Off The ground" & "Flaming Pie" Will be next?

Unknown said...

I would KILL for both of those. Easily my two favorite Macca albums!

Unknown said...

If London Town doesn't get reissued we will never get a full quality version of Waterspout, which was going to come out on "Cold Cuts". Let's hope thay all get remastered and released soon.

Unknown said...

I feel I will DEAD Before Back To The Egg or Red Rose Speedway !!!!

Unknown said...

Release red rose speedway double album

James Wiser said...

Surprised there's so much positivity for Press To Play here. I thought I was the only one. Aside from the cheesy single, it's his only great experiment since Lennon was taken away. Paul has been the only Beatle to continue to experiment with different sounds as that album continues that. I'd love to ask him about it and Back To The Egg. Amazing, edgy variety. He and Bowie never lost the urge to surprise. Love 'em forever.

James Wiser said...

It's sad to see any 80's albums released before Wings, but they'll have to finish 'em now. Hopefully this with all take place with McC's input 'cause the series won't be the same if he should leave us like Bowie or Prince.

vegavairbob said...

There is only one explanation. Maybe theyre not selling as well as expected. You know what, We don't care Give us RED ROSE SPEEDWAY, WINGs WILD LIFE, LONDON TOWN< BACK TO THE EGG. They will sell as well or better than Speed of Sound and Pipes of Peace. Count on it.