Move over, Ms L!

Hi all, wondering why you are looking at this jumbled up page? This is due to the fact that Facebook didn't like our url since it starts with wog, so we have been forced to move the blog. This was some time ago, and we have placed a script which would automatically send you to our new location. Obviously, this hasn't worked for all of you, since we have just finished moderating some of your comments which appeared on this site recently, and not on our new (and improved!) site. So what we're saying is head on over to our new site, and update your bookmarks!

Monday 5 January 2015

Interview with Maureen Cox, 1988


Interview with Maureen Cox from Le Chroniqueur, a French magazine, in July of 1988. The interviewer is a French reporter named Maurice Devereux. I have included the original French text after the English translation.

Q: So let’s start at the beginning. How did you first meet Richy?

A: Well… (pauses) I first met him at the Cavern. I was dating Johnny Guitar at the time in the Hurricanes (You know) and Richy was just the drummer at the time. I don’t remember when he first asked me out on a date, but he did just after he left the Hurricanes and joined the Beatles. I was excited! Here I was a silly sixteen-year-old hairdresser dating the most popular drummer in Liverpool. Our first date was a little silly. (chuckles) We just walked around the block for a while, gossiping and talking because he had to go back in the Cavern and play again. After a couple of months, I began to realize that I was infatuated with him.

Q: You and Richy went to Greece with Paul [McCartney] and Jane [Asher] in 1963, right?

A: Yes we did.

Paul, Jane, Maureen and Ringo
Q: How was that trip?

A: It was excellent. I think it was my first trip out of the country and I was so thrilled when Richy asked me to go. I was quite nervous because I was going with Paul and his girlfriend, but once we were there I relaxed. Paul is such a nice, genuine person and I quite enjoyed him. I got to know Jane as well during that trip. While Paul and Richy were off horsing around, Jane and I chatted quite a bit. She’s such an intelligent person and I thought them quite an odd couple at first. Paul is such an assertive fellow (you know) he knows what he wants and Jane is that way too. I often wondered to meself how they ever stayed together as long as they did (you know). Richy isn’t assertive at all. He’s pretty laid-back and gentle - some people could call him a pushover. He has this inferiority complex about ‘im. I don’t know how to describe it. He just wants me to constantly reassure ‘im that I love him because he gets afraid. We would be lying in bed and he would hold me close to him and say, “Do you really love me?” I would have to constantly reassure him that I did love him, that I did care for him; and I think he was really pleased to hear me say that to ‘im. He was so afraid that I might not love him.

The newlyweds
Q: You attended a couple of studio sessions with him? He said that sometimes he would take you with him.

A: Yeah, I went to a couple of them with him. It was only because he asked me - not because I wanted to. I was so used to him coming home from the studio and me sitting up till the crack of dawn waiting for ’im. Going to his work would seem out of the ordinary (y’know), so I told him that if he wanted me to go, I would.

Q: What was it like to sit in the studio with John, Paul and George?

A: It was like watching a couple of actors rehearsing a scene in a movie (laughs). I would sit there with a cup of coffee in my hand and watch them for a while or maybe gossip with Linda [McCartney] or Mal [Evans]. When I did watch them, I always thought to meself, so this is what he’s been doing for the last six years! (laughs) I sometimes felt like a fly on the wall, but I knew that I had to be the luckiest fly in the world. Pattie [Harrison] would sometimes be there, but she would always leave early.

Linda and Maureen, watching Ringo at work.
Q: Yoko Ono was there too.

A: I always thought her strange. I mean she would always interrupt the lads when they were working or do strange things without any reason whatsoever. I was there when John brought the bed, and said something about wanting Yoko to be there. I asked Richy about this and he just shook his head in disbelief. I often wondered how they all put up with her. Even Richy would come home and tell me all these strange stories about her. He once told me about her moaning into John’s microphone while they were recording a song and how the two of them would make-out during takes. I always avoided her in the studio for those reasons. She was just too strange for me.

In bed in Abbey Road studios: Pattie Harrison, Mal Evans, Linda McCartney and Yoko Ono
Q: Were you there when Richy walked out?

A: No, but I was surprised when he came home so soon. He told me to pack my bags without giving me much of an explanation; but I could see a look of distress in his eyes. It was just painful. I fought with him for a while, I really did and I told him that it was foolish to go away so soon, but I could tell he didn’t really care at that point. I do remember him muttering something about Paul under his breath- something really dirty which made me believe that Paul and Richy had a row.

Q: Can you recall what Richy said?

A: They were all curse words. I don’t really want to repeat

Q: (interrupts) Just do the best you can.

A: (laughs and puts her hands to her face) Ohhh.. it’s easy for you to say.

Q: (Whistles) Wow! Were they that bad?

A: Well pretty much. I will never forget what he muttered as he folded his socks and put them in the suitcase. He said:”Paul is a freaking moron.”

Q: You used freaking instead of the “F” word?

A: (laughs) Yes I did. He put so much stress on that word that it shocked me to hear him say it because he usually isn’t like that.

Arriving in Sardinia, 1968.
Q: Did you know why he left? Did he tell you?

A: From what I heard him tell Peter [Sellers] on the yacht, Paul wanted a certain drum pattern on a song and Richy was just fed up with his coaching him too much. He usually did something totally opposite of what Paul specifically told him to do, and Paul would get upset.

Q: What would you say is his greatest weakness?

A: His inferiority complex, his low self-esteem. I think, in a way,that was why he turned to drinkin’ so heavily. I think he used it as a cloth to hide his weakness. He would drink to get plastered to hide from it, but he knew that eventually he couldn’t. I remember he even tried to commit suicide once.

Q: Really?

A: Well, I shouldn’t say he did it intentionally because it took place when he was drunk (or at least I think so). He tried to cut his throat with his razor in the bathroom. He really frightened me at first, but I knew he wasn’t conscious of it. It was something that he wouldn’t have done if he was conscious and I knew this.

Q: Let’s turn to the positive. What was his greatest strength?

A: Ohhh… I would say it’s his personality. Richy is such a cheerful, peaceful man that it’s wonderful to talk with him. He has a wonderful sense of humor and can be very charming at time. My mother loved him when she first met him because he charmed the socks off of her. (Laughs) He was excellent with children - mostly because he’s usually gentle and playful. I used to comment to him that he still acted like a child, but he laughed it off.

Q: Was he passionate?

A: Oh yes, he could be very passionate when he wanted to be. Especially during meetings (According to the translator, in the article, it was ”sex” not meetings). He could be extremely passionate then.

Q: I noticed you haven’t mentioned John yet? What about him?

A: John is the funniest person you’d ever want to meet. You could never know when he was being serious. That’s John for you!

George Harrison, Julian Lennon, Maureen Starkey Tigrett and Ringo Starr backstage at the Royal Albert Hall for The Natural Law Party, 1992



Maureen "Mo" Starkey Tigrett, born Mary Cox, (4 August 1946 – 30 December 1994) was a hairdresser from Liverpool, England, best known as the first wife of the Beatles' drummer, Ringo Starr. They divorced in 1975 after ten years of marriage. She lived with Isaac Tigrett from 1976 and eventually married him in 1989. Maureen died at home of leukaemia on 30 December 1994, after receiving treatment at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington. She had three children with Ringo: sons Zak and Jason and daughter Lee, and one daughter with Tigrett, Augusta. Her four children, her mother, her then-husband Isaac Tigrett and her ex-husband Ringo Starr were at her bedside when she died. Paul McCartney's song "Little Willow" on the 1997 Flaming Pie album was for Maureen and dedicated to her children.


Original French text:

Q : Alors, commençons par le commencement. Comment avez-vous rencontré Richy pour la première fois ?

Maureen : Eh bien... (Un temps) Je l'ai rencontré pour la première fois au Cavern. Je sortais avec Johnny Guitar des Hurricanes à cette époque (vous savez), et alors Richy n'en était que le batteur. Je ne me souviens pas quand il m'a demandée de sortir avec lui pour la première fois, mais je sais qu'il l'a fait juste après qu'il ait quitté The Hurricanes et rejoint les Beatles. J'étais excitée ! J'étais alors une coiffeuse de seize ans écervelée qui sortait avec le batteur le plus célèbre de Liverpool. Notre premier rendez-vous était un peu gnangnan (rires). On a juste tourné autour du bâtiment pendant un petit moment, à papoter, parce qu'il devait retourner au Cavern pour y rejouer. Après quelques mois, j'ai commencé à me rendre compte que je m'étais vraiment amourachée de lui.

Q : Vous et Richy êtes partis en Grèce avec Paul McCartney et Jane Asher en 1963, c'est ça ?

Maureen : Oui, en effet.

Q : Comment était le séjour ?

Maureen : C'était excellent. Je crois que c'était mon premier voyage à l'extérieur du pays et j'étais tellement heureuse quand Richy m'a demandée d'y aller avec lui. J'étais un peu nerveuse, parce qu'il y avait aussi Paul et sa petite amie avec nous, mais une fois là-bas je me suis détendue. Paul est une personne tellement gentille et sincère, je me suis bien amusée avec lui. J'ai aussi connu Jane pendant le séjour. Quand Paul et Richy faisaient les idiots, Jane et moi parlions un peu. C'est une personne tellement intelligente, et j'ai pensé que c'était un couple étrange au départ. Paul est un gars si sûr de lui (vous savez), il sait ce qu'il veut, et Jane est comme ça aussi. Je me suis souvent demandée comment ils avaient fait pour rester ensemble autant de temps (vous savez). Richy n'est pas sûr de lui du tout. Il est plutôt du genre décontracté et tranquille, certaines personnes pourraient se moquer de lui en le traitant de pigeon. Il avait ce complexe d'infériorité qui le tracassait. Je ne saurais pas comment le décrire. Il veut que je le rassure sans cesse, que je lui dise que je l'aime, car il prend peur facilement. Quand on était tous les deux allongés sur le lit, il me serrait fort contre lui et me disait : "Est-ce que tu m'aimes vraiment ?", et je devais tout le temps le rassurer, lui dire que je l'aime, que je tenais à lui, et je pense qu'il était très heureux de m'entendre lui dire ça, il avait tellement peur que je ne l'aime pas.

Q : Vous avez assisté à quelques séances d'enregistrements avec lui ? Il a dit que quelques fois il vous prenait avec lui.

Maureen : Oui, j'y suis allée à quelques-unes avec lui. C'était seulement parce qu'il me le demandait, et pas parce que je le voulais. J'étais tellement habituée à attendre qu'il revienne du studio, à rester debout jusqu'à l'aube. L'accompagner à son travail me sortait de l'ordinaire (vous savez), mais je lui ai dit que s'il voulait que je vienne, je viendrais.

Q : Comment c'était d'être assise dans le studio avec John, Paul et George ?

Maureen : C'était comme regarder un groupe d'acteurs tourner la scène d'un film. (rires) Je m'asseyais avec une tasse de café et les regardais pendant un moment ou bien je discutais avec Linda McCartney ou Mal Evans. Quand je les regardais, je me disais toujours "voilà donc ce qu'ils ont fait ces six dernières années !" (rires) J'avais parfois l'impression d'être une mouche sur le mur qui les espionnait, mais je savais que j'étais alors la mouche la plus chanceuse du monde. Pattie Harrison était parfois là, mais elle repartait toujours tôt.

Q : Yoko Ono y était aussi.

Maureen : Je l'ai toujours trouvée étrange. Ce que je veux dire, c'est qu'elle interrompait toujours les gars alors qu'ils travaillaient ou faisaient des choses bizarres sans raison aucune. J'étais là quand John a amené le lit, et dit quelque chose à propos de Yoko qu'il voulait auprès d'elle. J'ai demandé à Richy ce qu'il en pensait, mais il a juste secoué la tête en guise de désapprobation. Je me demandais souvent comment ils faisaient pour s'entendre tous avec elle. Même Richy, quand il rentrait à la maison, me racontait toutes ces histoires bizarres à son sujet. Il m'a un jour racontée comment elle gémissait dans le micro de John alors qu'ils enregistraient une chanson et comment les deux s'embrassaient ouvertement pendant les prises. Je l'ai toujours évitée dans le studio pour toutes ces raisons. Elle était tout simplement trop étrange pour moi.

Q : Etiez-vous là quand Richy a abandonné le groupe ?

Maureen : Non, mais j'étais surprise qu'il revienne si tôt. Il m'a juste dit de faire mes valises sans me donner de plus amples explications ; mais je pouvais voir une lueur de détresse dans ses yeux. C'était vraiment douloureux pour moi. Je lui ai tenu tête pendant un moment, en lui disant que c'était stupide de partir si tôt, mais à ce moment-là, il n'en avait strictement rien à faire. Je me souviens de lui en train de marmonner quelque chose à propos de Paul dans sa barbe, quelque chose de très grossier qui m'a fait deviner que Paul et Richy s'étaient engueulés.

Q : Vous vous souvenez de ce que Richy a dit ?

Maureen : C'étaient vraiment des mots crus. Je n'ai pas envie de les répéter.

Q : (l'interrompant) Faites seulement du mieux que vous pouvez.

Maureen : (rit et passe une main sur son visage) Oooh... C'est facile à dire pour vous.

Q : (siffle) Wow ! Ils étaient si grossiers que ça ?

Maureen : Assez, oui. Je n'oublierai jamais ce qu'il a marmonné alors qu'il pliait ses chaussettes et les mettait dans sa valise. Il a dit : "Paul est un foutu crétin".

Q : Vous avez utilisé le mot "foutu" au lieu de l'autre qui commence aussi par un F ?

Maureen : (rit) Oui, c'est ce que j'ai fait. Il a mis tellement de rage dans ce mot que ça m'a choquée de l'entendre dire ça, parce que d'habitude il n'est pas comme ça.

Q : Savez-vous pourquoi il est parti ? Vous l'a-t-il expliqué ?

Maureen : D'après ce que j'ai entendu de sa conversation avec Peter Sellers sur le yacht, Paul voulait un certain type de son de batterie sur la chanson et Richy en avait seulement assez qu'il lui dise tout le temps ce qu'il avait à faire. Il a fait exprès de faire l'exact opposé de ce que Paul avait spécifiquement demandé, ce qui l'a rendu furieux.

Q : D'après vous, quelle est sa plus grande faiblesse ?

Maureen : Son complexe d'infériorité, sa mauvaise estime de lui-même. Je pense que c'est en partie ça qui l'a poussé à boire tant. D'après moi ce devait être une façade pour cacher sa faiblesse. Il buvait dans l'espoir de la dissimuler, mais il finissait toujours par se rendre compte qu'il n'y arrivait pas. Je me souviens même qu'un jour il a fait une tentative de suicide.

Q : Vraiment ?

Maureen : Eh bien, je ne devrais pas dire qu'il l'a fait intentionnellement parce que ça s'est passé alors qu'il était soûl (ou du moins je le crois). Il a essayé de se trancher la gorge avec son rasoir dans la salle de bains. Il m'a vraiment fait peur au début, mais je savais qu'il n'était pas conscient de ce qu'il faisait. C'est quelque chose qu'il n'aurait jamais fait s'il avait eu toute sa tête et je le savais.

Q : Parlons de ses points positifs. Quelle était sa plus grande qualité ?

Maureen : Ooh... Je dirais que c'est sa personnalité. Richy est quelqu'un de tellement joyeux et placide, c'est superbe de parler avec lui. Il a beaucoup d'humour et peut être tout à fait charmant en même temps. Ma mère l'a adoré la première fois qu'elle l'a rencontré, parce qu'il la totalement charmée. (rires) Il était super avec les enfants, surtout parce qu'il est de nature douce et joueuse. Je lui disais souvent qu'il se comportait comme un enfant, mais il en riait.

Q : Etait-il passionné ?

Maureen : Oh oui, il pouvait être très passionné quand il le voulait. Surtout durant les rencontres (d'après le traducteur, dans l'article, c'était "sexe" et non "rencontres"). Il pouvait alors être très passionné.

Q : Je constate que vous n'avez pas encore parlé de John ? Que diriez-vous de lui ?

Maureen : John est la personne la plus drôle que vous auriez jamais rencontrée. Vous ne pouviez jamais savoir à quand il était sérieux. C'était John !

5 comments:

Sara S. said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to have this translated and posted. I know how difficult that can be and I wanted you to know that it is appreciated!

Anonymous said...

In a word, 'UGH'

Anonymous said...

Roger, thanks for posting this! This is great--a lot of information I'd never heard before. In fact, I don't know if I've ever seen a full interview with Maureen before at all! I don't speak or read French, so this is very useful.

@Internotional Tomes: Why "UGH"? Is the translation poor or something? Or are you referring to the part of the interview where the interviewer is trying to get Maureen to dish some trash between Ringo and Paul? Other than that, I thought it was a very informative interview.

Unknown said...

I think the translator is right. It might have been a mispellins between "encounters" (rencontres) and "intercourses" (sexe).

lola boyd said...

Great, Mo is really very friendly <3